|An Unfortunate Actor on Acting|
|Main character(s):||Count Olaf|
|Release date:||January 24, 2017|
|A Series of Unfortunate Events|
An Unfortunate Actor on Acting was a short video released by Netflix on its YouTube channel, purporting to interview Count Olaf on the craft of acting. He answers questions which are submitted by various characters from the series, and clips are shown from the TV series itself, as well.
In the accompanying video, we present Count Olaf's perspective on the craft of acting. It is our sincere hope that this interview serves as a vivid illustration of how not to conduct oneself, both on and off the stage.
With all due respect,
to be added
- Count Olaf is wearing an outfit from a "one-man show" he did in 2003.
- He says he would put up on his "acting Mount Rushmore": Count Olaf, Stephano, Shirley St. Ives and Malcolm-Jamal Warner.
- Olaf mentions his acting troupe, and names them: "Hook-Handed Man", "Bald Man", the two "White-Faced Women" and the "Person of Indeterminate Gender".
- Before singing "The Count", Olaf asks if anyone has a pitch pipe.
to be added
- Clips are shown of Count Olaf introducing himself to the Baudelaires, (TV: The Bad Beginning: Part One) The Marvelous Marriage and Count Olaf in the wedding dress he designed for Violet, (TV: The Bad Beginning: Part Two) Count Olaf as Shirley St. Ives with Dr. Orwell, (TV: The Miserable Mill: Part Two) as Yessica Haircut, (TV: The Bad Beginning: Part Two) as Captain Sham with Josephine Anwhistle, (TV: The Wide Window: Part One) and as Stephano. (TV: The Reptile Room: Part One/Part Two) The performance of "The Count" in The Bad Beginning: Part One is also depicted.
- Gunther, an "aspiring grade school playwright" (and one of Olaf's disguises) asks, "What do you love most about the theatre?" (PROSE: The Ersatz Elevator)
- Nero, "vice faculty director" (of Prufrock Preparatory School) asks, "What do you love about acting?" (PROSE: The Austere Academy)
- Fernald, "aspiring actor" (and the Hook-Handed Man in Count Olaf's troupe) asks, "Who would be on your acting Mount Rushmore?" (PROSE: The Grim Grotto, TV: The Bad Beginning: Part One, et al.)
- Georgina, "optimistic optometrist", asks, "Who do you like to work with?" (TV: The Miserable Mill: Part One/Part Two, PROSE: The Miserable Mill)
- Carmelita, "veteran fairy dancer", asks, "Can you tease a musical number from your new production?" (PROSE: The Austere Academy, The Slippery Slope)