- "Every boat has it's own sail."
- —Captain Sham's grammatically incorrect business card motto
With the disguise, he was able to woo Aunt Josephine at a local grocery store in the town of Lake Lachrymose when Violet, Klaus, and Sunny were staying with her at her home. He later told Aunt Josephine by phone that he was really Count Olaf, and that she had to write out a will leaving him the children and promptly disappear.
He was able to utilize an eye patch to hide his eyebrow and a hinged peg leg to hide his tattoo. Olaf was aided by The Enormous Androgynous Person who guarded Captain Sham's Sailboat Rentals. He was later uncovered when Sunny used her four sharp teeth to bite his peg leg.
- In the film adaptation, Count Olaf murdered Captain Sam to take the role.
- The Wide Window
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (film)
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (video game)
- A Series of Unfortunate Events (TV series)