|“||Every boat has it's own sail.||”|
— Captain Sham's grammatically incorrect business card motto
With the disguise, he was able to woo Aunt Josephine at a local grocery store in the town of Lake Lachrymose when Violet, Klaus, and Sunny were staying with her at her home. Josephine was especially convinced because he had a business card that said "Captain Sham" and not "Count Olaf", and Lemony Snicket points out that literally anyone can go to a printing store and have anything they want printed. He later told Aunt Josephine by phone that he was really Count Olaf, and that she had to write out a will leaving him the children and promptly disappear.
He was able to utilize an eyepatch to hide his eyebrow and a hinged peg leg to hide his tattoo. Olaf was aided by Henchperson of Indeterminate Gender who guarded Captain Sham's Sailboat Rentals while posing as a security guard.
Count Olaf was later uncovered when Sunny used her four sharp teeth to bite his peg leg claiming to Arthur Poe that his leg regenerated.
- In the film adaptation, Count Olaf murdered Captain Sam to take the role. In addition, this version of Captain Sham doesn't wear an eyepatch.
- A "sham" is a thing that is not what it is purported to be, suiting Olaf disguising himself as a captain.
- He is one of the multiple characters with the initials J.S.
- The Wide Window
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (film)
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (video game)
- A Series of Unfortunate Events (TV series)