|“||He who hesitates is lost.||”|
— Widdershins' personal philosophy
He claims to be the stepfather of Fernald and Fiona, although it is possible he is lying and that he is their biological father. He continually tells Fiona that her mother died in a "manatee accident," though Fiona doesn't believe it was an accident; indeed, towards the end of the book, it is revealed that Widdershins was wrong (or lying) about this.
Widdershins has a very long mustache that curls up at both ends like a pair of parentheses. He has a rather peculiar way of speaking, often making redundant comments and interjecting them with the word "Aye!" and he feels a great need to remain in control, objecting when anyone makes a statement that could be even slightly construed as a command. Widdershins cares very much for Fiona and refuses to discuss any of V.F.D.'s secrets in front of her. This, he believes, will keep her from harm. It is clear that he knows many of said secrets, and it is known that he taught Olivia Caliban (Madame Lulu) how to read coded stains on maps.
The Grim Grotto
He disappeared when a woman came and convinced him (and Phil) to leave with her.
In The Penultimate Peril, Kit Snicket mentions she intends to meet him at a certain clump of seaweed, and if she does, both of them will be at the Hotel Denouement on Thursday. She waterskiis towards Captain Widdershins, then later, waterskiis away from him.
In The End, he was last heard from when Kit said he was aboard the Queequeg when Hector's Self-Sustaining Hot Air Mobile Home crashed into it. Widdershins chose to take his chances with the Great Unknown and nothing else has been heard of him.
- He is possibly Friday Caliban's father. Due to this rumor, the assumption can also be made that his first name may be Thursday, and that he and Miranda Caliban were together and broke up.
- He wholeheartedly believed and shared the false news report of Lemony Snicket's death to Beatrice Baudelaire and several other members of V.F.D.
- Widdershins is a rare word for going counterclockwise or something unlucky.
- When Did You See Her Last?
- Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights? (mentioned)
- The Grim Grotto
- The Penultimate Peril (mentioned)
- The End (mentioned)