Killed by Stew Mitchum in Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights?
The library and to V.F.D.
Dashiell Qwerty is the sub-librarian of Stain'd-by-the-Sea's library.
All the Wrong Questions
Lemony Snicket meets Dashiell in Who Could That Be at This Hour? when he goes to the library. The library used to be the City Hall, but for some reason is no longer. The library seems to have an extensive collection of books, including "Black, Brown and Beige" which becomes a plot point during the book.
Dashiell is willing to help Snicket in contacting his sister, Kit Snicket, via an inter-library loan. He seems to have an animosity with Stew Mitchum and his parents, probably because of the former's habit of using his slingshot in the library.
Dashiell is arrested for arson in Shouldn't You Be in School?.
In Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights?, Dashiell is heard arguing with S. Theodora Markson and is killed in his cell by Stew. However, Officers Mitchum refuse to believe their son was responsible for the murder and arrest Ellington Feint for the murder instead.
He is described as having outrageous hair, a leather jacket, and a very deep voice.
His first name is most likely a reference to mystery writer Dashiell Hammett. Snicket's first case, where he and his chaperone are hired to find a statue of the Bombinating Beast, bears a strong resemblance to the plot of Hammett's novel The Maltese Falcon.
His last name is a reference to the first six letters on a standard keyboard or typewriter.
- According to one Snicketmail, "the librarian weep[s] every night". Since Dashiell is the only librarian in the book, it is likely a reference to him.
- His title of sub-librarian is reminiscent of Dewey Denouement's title of Sub-sub librarian.
- Who Could That Be at This Hour?
- When Did You See Her Last?
- Shouldn't You Be in School?
- Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights?
- File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents