He is a 'famous' detective obsessed with what's cool, including ridiculous sunglasses which cover up his one eyebrow and green plastic shoes with yellow lightning bolts on them that hide the tattoo of an eye on his ankle. He seemingly murdered the real police chief of the Village of Fowl Devotees.
After murdering Jacques Snicket who had been mistaken as him by the Village of Fowl Devotees, Count Olaf in the disguise of Detective Dupin accuses the Baudelaires of murdering "Count Olaf." He claims that Violet's hair ribbon and a lens from Klaus's glasses were found on the scene, and Sunny's teeth marks are on the body. In addition, he has Esmé Squalor operate as Officer Luciana.
Although his identity is not exposed, Count Olaf and Esmé Squalor escape on their motorcycle.
- "It's just not cool," Count Olaf said, snapping his fingers to emphasize the word "cool", "to dismiss suspects from the scene of the crime until Detective Dupin gives the O.K."
- "It's just not cool," Count Olaf said, snapping his fingers again, "to disagree with Detective Dupin."
- "It's not cool," Olaf said with a snap, "to be confused, so let me see if I can help you."
- "It's not cool," he said, "to accuse people of murder without any evidence, but luckily I found some."
- "It's not cool," called out a voice, "to have meetings!"
- "It's cool to be late," he said, and snapped his fingers.
- "It's cool to fire away, Officer Luciana."