|“||I think your prescription is a little fuzzy, my four-eyed kitten.||”|
— Detective Dupin to Klaus
He is a 'famous' detective obsessed with what's cool, including ridiculous sunglasses which cover up his one eyebrow and green plastic shoes with yellow lightning bolts on them that hide the tattoo of an eye on his ankle. He seemingly murdered the real police chief of the Village of Fowl Devotees.
After murdering Jacques Snicket who had been mistaken as him by the Village of Fowl Devotees, Count Olaf in the disguise of Detective Dupin accuses the Baudelaires of murdering "Count Olaf." He claims that Violet's hair ribbon and a lens from Klaus's glasses were found on the scene, and Sunny's teeth marks are on the body. In addition, he has Esmé Squalor operate as Officer Luciana.
When one of the villagers sees Dupin without his sunglasses on, the Council of Elders suspect he has a tattoo on his ankle and confirm it following the struggle. After it was discovered that one of the V.F.D. Crows has been injured by Officer Luciana's Harpoon gun, Count Olaf and Esmé Squalor escape on their motorcycle to avoid the villagers' wrath.
He is played by Neil Patrick Harris. This version of Dupin, in addition to his gratuitous use of the word "cool," is also obsessed with scat singing and often resorts to it in attempts to get out of answering questions that he does not know the answer to. In one scene, Dupin is singing in the Town Hall of the Village of Fowl Devotees.
- "It's just not cool," Count Olaf said, snapping his fingers to emphasize the word "cool", "to dismiss suspects from the scene of the crime until Detective Dupin gives the O.K."
- "It's just not cool," Count Olaf said, snapping his fingers again, "to disagree with Detective Dupin."
- "It's not cool," Olaf said with a snap, "to be confused, so let me see if I can help you."
- "It's not cool," he said, "to accuse people of murder without any evidence, but luckily I found some."
- "It's not cool," called out a voice, "to have meetings!"
- "It's cool to be late," he said, and snapped his fingers.
- "It's cool to fire away, Officer Luciana."