Lemony Snicket is a novelist who is best-known as the narrator and author of A Series of Unfortunate Events. He researches the Baudelaire orphans and documents their lives in said series.
The Afflicted Author
The following appears on Snicket's official website.
- Mr. Snicket rarely appears in public, but when he does, it is best to avoid him. Fortunately, space at his events is limited.
- Lemony Snicket was born before you were, and is likely to die before you as well. His family has roots in a part of the country which is now underwater, and his childhood was spent in the relative splendor of the Snicket Villa which has since become a factory, a fortress, and a pharmacy and is now, alas, someone else's villa. To the untrained eye, Mr. Snicket's hometown would not appear to be filled with secrets. Untrained eyes have been wrong before.
- The aftermath of the scandal was swift, brutal and inaccurately reported in the periodicals of the day. It is true, however, that Mr. Snicket was stripped of several awards by the reigning authorities, including Honorable Mention, the Grey Ribbon and First Runner Up. The High Council reached a convenient if questionable verdict and Mr. Snicket found himself in exile.
- Though his formal training was chiefly in rhetorical analysis, he has spent the last several eras researching the travails of the Baudelaire orphans. This project, being published serially by HarperCollins, takes him to the scenes of numerous crimes, often during the offseason. Eternally pursued and insatiably inquisitive, a hermit and a nomad, Mr. Snicket wishes you nothing but the best.
- Due to the world-wide web of conspiracy which surrounds him, Mr. Snicket often communicates with the general public through his representative, Daniel Handler. Mr. Handler has had a relatively uneventful life, and is the author of three books for adults, The Basic Eight, Watch Your Mouth, and Adverbs, none of which are anywhere near as dreadful as Mr. Snicket's. Like Mr. Snicket, Mr. Handler wishes you nothing but the best.
- Mr. Snicket's investigations usually prevent him from being anywhere near any electronic equipment or postal paraphernalia, however, if you feel you must send word to him, you can write him at:
- via post:
- Mr. Snicket
- HarperCollins Children's Books
- 10 East 53rd Street
- New York, New York 10022
Fictional character biography
Early V.F.D. Career
As described in his series All The Wrong Questions, in his childhood, long before he began his work on the Baudelaire case, he was an apprentice to S. Theodora Markson in Stain'd by the Sea. Snicket was sent from the city to the town, where he first was assigned a job by Hangfire, a ghastly criminal, to retrieve or 'steal' the bombinating beast statue from the Mallahans. Snicket failed the mission and was later assigned to find the chemist known as Miss Cleo Knight, who was wanted by Hangfire.
As a promotion for ATRQ, Snicket created an online series on Youtube called You Choose the Mystery, where you can follow a short mystery on Lemony's life depicting how he fails to send a message to a colleague, and, in turn, his colleague fails to send a message to him. In By The Other End (The End is the other option, however, this makes a better connection to ASOUE) Snicket is falsely accused of a crime and arrested.
It is also noted that Lemony was rather close with his sister, Kit Snicket, and numerous other V.F.D. members such as Captain Widdershins and Hector, and possibly maintained small relationships with both Moxie Mallahan and Ellington Feint.
A Series of Unfortunate Events and accompanying works
- The Bad Beginning
- The Reptile Room
- The Wide Window
- The Bad Beginning: or, Orphans!
- The Reptile Room: or, Murder!
- The Wide Window: or, Disappearance!
- The Miserable Mill
- The Austere Academy
- The Ersatz Elevator
- The Vile Village
- The Hostile Hospital
- The Carnivorous Carnival
- The Slippery Slope
- The Grim Grotto
- The Penultimate Peril
- The End
- The Beatrice Letters
- Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography
- Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid
- The Notorious Notations
- The Blank Book
Behind the scenes
To fill time at the end of the first audio book, read by Tim Curry, there is an interview which is supposed to be with "Mr. Snicket" but he is apparently not home, and the interview proceeds with "Mr. Handler," who confuses himself with his "employer" throughout the interview. To avoid answering any tough questions, Handler invokes a psychological device by which the response to a query can be so horrible that it seems to the listener as if it was not given at all.
In the film, he is voiced by Jude Law. A commentary track entitled "Brad Silberling and the real Lemony Snicket Commentary" was recorded for the DVD released on 26 April 2005. Brad Silberling is the movie's director, and the "real Lemony Snicket" joke is a jibe aimed at Jude Law, considered the "Imposter Lemony Snicket."
In the video game, he is voiced by Tim Curry.
In the TV series, he is portrayed by Patrick Warburton.
|Jacques Snicket • Kit Snicket • Lemony Snicket|