Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This article should not be focused at all on the real-world Daniel Handler, who gets his own page. Lemony Snicket should be from an in-universe perspective, still acknowledging that he's written the books, but from the perspective of the character, with his life, his childhood, and the things he says about himself.
Lemony Snicket (nom de plume of Daniel Handler) is a novelist who is best-known as the narrator and author of A Series of Unfortunate Events. He researches the Baudelaire orphans and documents their lives in said series.
Real Life Biography
Daniel Handler originally came up with "Lemony Snicket" as a pseudonym to use, rather than placing his real name on the mailing lists of several right-wing organizations he was researching for one of his novels. It became something of an in-joke with his friends, who were known to order pizzas under the name. When he found himself writing a series of children's books, he decided to use the Snicket name to add an air of mystery to proceedings. And so, Lemony Snicket was born.
The Afflicted Author
The following appears on Snicket's official website.
- Mr. Snicket rarely appears in public, but when he does, it is best to avoid him. Fortunately, space at his events is limited.
- Lemony Snicket was born before you were, and is likely to die before you as well. His family has roots in a part of the country which is now underwater, and his childhood was spent in the relative splendor of the Snicket Villa which has since become a factory, a fortress, and a pharmacy and is now, alas, someone else's villa. To the untrained eye, Mr. Snicket's hometown would not appear to be filled with secrets. Untrained eyes have been wrong before.
- The aftermath of the scandal was swift, brutal and inaccurately reported in the periodicals of the day. It is true, however, that Mr. Snicket was stripped of several awards by the reigning authorities, including Honorable Mention, the Grey Ribbon and First Runner Up. The High Council reached a convenient if questionable verdict and Mr. Snicket found himself in exile.
- Though his formal training was chiefly in rhetorical analysis, he has spent the last several eras researching the travails of the Baudelaire orphans. This project, being published serially by HarperCollins, takes him to the scenes of numerous crimes, often during the offseason. Eternally pursued and insatiably inquisitive, a hermit and a nomad, Mr. Snicket wishes you nothing but the best.
- Due to the world-wide web of conspiracy which surrounds him, Mr. Snicket often communicates with the general public through his representative, Daniel Handler. Mr. Handler has had a relatively uneventful life, and is the author of three books for adults, The Basic Eight, Watch Your Mouth, and Adverbs, none of which are anywhere near as dreadful as Mr. Snicket's. Like Mr. Snicket, Mr. Handler wishes you nothing but the best.
- Mr. Snicket's investigations usually prevent him from being anywhere near any electronic equipment or postal paraphernalia, however, if you feel you must send word to him, you can write him at:
- via post:
- Mr. Snicket
- HarperCollins Children's Books
- 10 East 53rd Street
- New York, New York 10022
Fictional character biography
Early V.F.D. Career
As described in his series All The Wrong Questions, before his Baudelaire case, in his childhood he was an apprentice to S. Theodora Markson on, in Stain'd by the Sea. Snicket was sent from the city to the town, where he first was assigned the job by Hangfire a ghastly criminal, to retrieve or 'steal' the bombinating beast statue from the Mallahans. After a failure of his mission, he was later assigned the mission, to find the chemist known as Miss Cleo Knight, who was wanted by Hangfire.
In his online's series, You Choose the Mystery, on YouTube, (as a promotion for ATRQ), you can follow a short mystery in Lemony's life of how he fails to send a message to his colleague, and fails to recieve another message from his colleague. By The Other End (The End is the other option, however, this makes a better connection to ASOUE) Snicket is falsely accused with a crime and arrested.
It is also noted that Lemony was rather close with his sister, Kit Snicket and other numerous, V.F.D. members such as Captain Widdershins, Hector and possibly a small relationship with both Moxie Mallahan and Ellington Feint.
A Series of Unfortunate Events and accompanying works
- The Bad Beginning
- The Reptile Room
- The Wide Window
- The Bad Beginning: or, Orphans!
- The Reptile Room: or, Murder!
- The Wide Window: or, Disappearance!
- The Miserable Mill
- The Austere Academy
- The Ersatz Elevator
- The Vile Village
- The Hostile Hospital
- The Carnivorous Carnival
- The Slippery Slope
- The Grim Grotto
- The Penultimate Peril
- The End
- The Beatrice Letters
- Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography
- Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid
- The Notorious Notations
- The Blank Book
All the Wrong Questions and accompanying works
- Who Could That Be at This Hour?
- When Did You See Her Last?
- Shouldn't You Be in School?
- Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights?
- File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents
Behind the scenes
To fill time at the end of the first audio book, read by Tim Curry, there is an interview which is supposed to be with "Mr. Snicket" but apparently he is not home, and the interview proceeds with "Mr. Handler," who confuses himself with his "employer" throughout the interview. To avoid answering any tough questions, Handler invokes a psychological device by which the response to a query can be so horrible that it seems to the listener as if it was not given at all.
In the film, he is voiced by Jude Law. A commentary track entitled "Brad Silberling and the real Lemony Snicket Commentary" was recorded for the DVD released on 26 April 2005. Brad Silberling is the movie's director, and the "real Lemony Snicket" joke is a jibe aimed at Jude Law, considered the "Imposter Lemony Snicket."
In the video game, he is voiced by Tim Curry.
In the TV series, he will be portrayed by Patrick Warburton.
|Jacques Snicket • Kit Snicket • Lemony Snicket|