It points to other pages that have similar names. If you followed a link here, please fix it to point to one of the pages listed below.
V.F.D. is a three–letter acronym that is used extensively throughout the books, most notable for the secret organization V.F.D.
The following is a list of all of the occurrences of "V.F.D." initialisms in chronological order of their first appearances.
The Ersatz Elevator
The Vile Village
The Hostile Hospital
The Carnivorous Carnival
- Vineyard's Famous Donkeys – the donkeys of the Vineyard of Fragrant Grapes
- Valley of Four Drafts – an area in the Mortmain Mountains, once home to the V.F.D. Headquarters
- Voice Fakery Disguises
The Slippery Slope
- Volunteer Feline Detectives – a pack of lions that once lived in the Mortmain Mountains
- Very Fascinating Drama – used as a code between the Baudelaire orphans and Quigley Quagmire
- Very Fun Day – used as a code between the Baudelaire orphans and Quigley Quagmire
- Vinegar–Flavored Doughnuts – used as a code between the Baudelaire orphans and Quigley Quagmire
- Violent Frozen Dragonflies – used as a code between the Baudelaire orphans and Quigley Quagmire
- Voracious Fierce Dragon – used as a code between the Baudelaire orphans and Quigley Quagmire
- Vain Fat Dictator – used as a code between the Baudelaire orphans and Quigley Quagmire
- Verdant Flammable Device – used to alert fellow Volunteers of one's presence
- Vertical Flame Diversion – serves as both a chimney and a passageway
- Vernacularly Fastened Door – a device used to lock a door
- Volunteer Fire Department – a fire–fighting organization that was split by a schism
- Verbal Fridge Dialogue – a code used by the V.F.D.
- Very Fresh Dill – used to signify a message in Verbal Fridge Dialogue
The Grim Grotto
- Volunteer Factual Dispatches – telegrams written between Volunteers who are unable to meetup but would like to share answers to the mysteries they've solved
- Voluntary Fish Domestication – a V.F.D. program that trained salmon at Anwhistle Aquatics; these salmon were later kidnapped and served at Café Salmonella
- Visitable Fungal Ditches – Chapter 39 of Mushroom Minutiae
- Versed Furtive Disclosure – a a collection of poetry used in Verse Fluctuation Declaration that Klaus finds in the Gorgonian Grotto
- Verse Fluctuation Declaration – a code used by the V.F.D.
- Volatile Fungus Deportation – Gregor Anwhistle's plan to cultivate the Medusoid Mycelium in the Gorgonian Grotto
- Violet's Fifteenth Date – Violet's Fifteenth Birthday
- Verifying Fernald's Defection – a newspaper article written by Jacques Snicket
The Penultimate Peril
- Very Flavorless Diet – a joke made by Klaus
- Vaporetto of Favorite Detritus – a boat made of one's favorite thing
- Veritable French Diner – Jerome's favorite restaurant on 141 Dark Avenue. It also has a cameo in an ad in the film.
- Very Frightening Danger – on the copyright page, Lemony Snicket writes: "If you recognize yourself in any of the photographs or illustrations in this book you may find yourself in Very Frightening Danger and/or slightly embarrassed but there is nothing you can do about it."
- Valorous Farms Dairy – the farm where Snicket was born. It is also the backdrop of a holiday message from the TV series.
- Vineyard of Fragrant Drapes – the name for The Vineyard of Fragrant Grapes that is used when Volunteers are sending coded messages
- Veiled Facial Disguises – a set of disguises used by the V.F.D.
- Various Finery Disguises – a set of disguises used by the V.F.D.
- Vincent Francis Doyle – author of Ivan Lachrymose: Lake Explorer
- Very False Documents Press – publisher of Ivan Lachrymose: Lake Explorer by Vincent Francis Doyle
- Very Fancy Doily Press – publisher of The In Auction Catalog
- Voracious Film Discussions Press – publisher of I Lost Something at the Movies by Lena Pukalie
- Venom Feels Delightful Press – publisher of Mamba du Mal: A Snake That Will Never Kill Me by Tony "Mommy" Eggmonteror
- Very Fast Delivery – the caption under a photograph on page 204
- Very Fond Desires – in a note at the beginning of The Puzzling Puzzles.
- Violetta Frogg-Drifter – a fake name found on sign-up sheet for use of Blotted Boulevard. Mentioned in alternate conclusion "Quiet Street" in File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents (physical book version only, not in ebook or audiobook).
This list only includes instances of V.F.D. found in the Netflix TV series which did not appear in the books.
- Very Flammable Dandelions – on a crate in the first teaser trailer.
- Visceral Fantabulous Debut – title of newspaper article in second teaser.
- Various Frequent Disasters – in "The Facts" trailer, Lemony Snicket explains, "Sadly, due to Various Frequent Disasters the [Baudelaire family] tree was pruned."
- Vastly Frightening Decision – within a miserable message from Netflix.
- Vastly Frightening Debut – in a Facebook message of season 2 trailer.
- Netflix created numerous secret websites using V.F.D. terms. Most of these terms are already listed on this page but a couple have not been otherwise mentioned:
- Volunteer Fire Department – said by Lemony Snicket in "The Bad Beginning: Part One". (The first mention in the books is in The Slippery Slope.)
- Vigorously Fixed Destination – said by Jacquelyn to the Baudelaires in "The Bad Beginning: Part Two" and later repeated by Count Olaf to his troupe.
- Very Fitting Definition – said in "The Reptile Room: Part One" by Uncle Monty describing Klaus' definition of the word "misnomer".
- Verified Film Discount – mentioned in "The Reptile Room: Part One" when Uncle Monty goes to buy tickets.
- Vitiated Film Distribution – in the intro credits to Zombies in the Snow and on the film's poster in "The Reptile Room: Part One".
- Vincent Fig Demetrios – a female news reporter mentioned in the beginning of "The Wide Window: Part One" along with a man named Veronica, possibly also a V.F.D.
- Very Flavorful Desserts – on shop window from which Larry gets a stack of pies from in "The Wide Window: Part One".
- Very Fresh Dill – mentioned in "The Wide Window: Part One" by a merchant trying to sell it. (It was also mentioned in the books in The Slippery Slope where it is used to signify a message in Verbal Fridge Dialogue.)
- Very Far Distant – a telegram company used for the message the Quagmire parents are seen decoding near the end of "The Wide Window: Part One".
- Vastly Frightening Decision – said by Aunt Josephine to the Baudelaires in "The Wide Window: Part Two".
- Verified Functional Dictionary – book found by Sunny in "The Miserable Mill: Part One" which Violet and Klaus used in "The Miserable Mill: Part Two" to try and find the key word that reverses the mill workers' hypnosis.
- Very Fancy Door - said by Foreman Flacutono and Charles in "The Miserable Mill: Part One".
- Vigorous Fire Defense - Mrs. Quagmire talks about mounting one in "The Miserable Mill: Part Two".
- Victoriously Final Days – Carmelita Spats says this to Larry the Waiter near the end of "The Austere Academy: Part One".
- Virulently Fishy Decor – said by Larry in "The Ersatz Elevator: Part One".
- Vigorously Fancy Dining – Jacquelyn says this in "The Ersatz Elevator: Part One".
- Very Fond Dates – from description of lot 49 in In Auction catalog in "The Ersatz Elevator: Part Two".
- Very Fancy Dinner – from description of lot 49 in In Auction catalog in "The Ersatz Elevator: Part Two".
- Very Fast Dialogue – from description of lot 49 in In Auction catalog in "The Ersatz Elevator: Part Two".
- Vicious Feline Display – on poster at Caligari Carnival in "The Carnivorous Carnival: Part One".
- Various Fakery Disguises – sign on Madame Lulu's closet in "The Carnivorous Carnival: Part One". In the books, a similar term, "Various Finery Disguises", is used.
- Very Fine Dramatists – from promotional material, including on the website, for the unfortunate film.
- Villainous Film Details – from promotional material, including on the website, for the unfortunate film.
- Vital Fan Disclosure – it is said that in reply to an email to Lemony Snicket, one will receive an "Out of Office AutoReply" that is apparently sent by "Anonymous Representative HarperCollins Publishers Department of Vital Fan Disclosure".